Just click to download the Spring 2017 newsletter as a PDF file.
Just click to download the Autumn 2016 newsletter as a PDF file.
Just click to download the Summer 2016 newsletter as a PDF file.
On Tuesday, 12th July 2016, we visited Chichester (Noviomagus Reginorum) and Fishbourne Roman Palace in a mixture of sunshine and showers with two hours to explore the city and have lunch. The coach stopped beside the Cathedral, so that was most people’s first port of call. Founded in the 11th century, it is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and contains a shrine to St Richard of Chichester. In the south aisle it is possible to see the remains of a Roman mosaic pavement through a glass floor panel. The spire, originally made of weak local stone collapsed and was rebuilt in the 19th century. The Bishop’s Garden nearby was delightful. Other places of interest included the Market Cross built in 1501 as a covered market-place, (a type of Buttercross familiar to old market towns) , Pallant House Gallery, which has a major collection of chiefly modern British art and the Novium museum. At various places round the city it is possible to walk along the city walls. In Priory Park is the 13th century Guildhall, still in use for various functions.
After lunch we boarded the coach for the short trip to the magnificent Fishbourne Roman Palace. There we watched an explanatory video about the site, about its first discovery in 1960, its then being covered over and protected, and excavation over a 10-year period by the archaeologist Barry Cunliffe. Read More
32 members and friends set off in sunshine to Westminster but, unfortunately, this soon changed to showers. As we were able to take cover on the boat this was no problem.
The commentary on the boat was good and our attention was drawn to places of interest along the River bank such as The Royal Chelsea Hospital, the Redevelopment of the old Battersea Power Station, Battersea Park, the “affordable” homes at Chelsea Reach, Kew Botanical Gardens, Syon Park and the Boat Race Course.
We passed through two locks at Richmond and Teddington, under 15 road bridges and 7 rail bridges. Fortunately, for our arrival at Hampton Court the sun came out so we walked around the Rose and Vegetable Gardens then on to the Restaurant for tea and cakes.
A short walk over Hampton Court Bridge brought us to the coach, a tour of Chessington, Ewell and Banstead, and got us home around 6 o’clock. Except for the roundabout journey home, all appeared to have had a successful day.
Just click to download the Spring 2016 newsletter as a PDF file.
Kath Shawcross, Borough Archivist and Local Studies Manager welcomed twenty-one members from CADHAS to the Local Studies Room at Sutton Central Library to view three items of archive material acquired last year.
The Society had made a donation towards the acquisitions.
The items are:
- The Court Baron for Carshalton, dating from 1682-1833. This type of court dealt with the day-to-day business within the manor, admitting new tenants, disputes, fines and so on.
- Minutes of the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor in Carshalton. This dates from 1691-1746.
- A thin volume containing a valuation of the Parish of Carshalton in 1839.
It was an enjoyable and instructive visit. Kath explained how the documents filled gaps in Sutton’s archive collection and the ‘adventure’ of bidding for them at action.
Members were able to examine the documents and handle them carefully.
Anyone wishing to order them for further research is welcome to do so but please telephone 24 hours in advance on: 020 8770 4747 and request Accession 914, specifying which volume.